Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Return to Normalcy

For the fear of revealing my inner geek, I hesitate to post this. But oh well.

Two years ago, a friend introduced me to an MMORPG called Dofus. It's the cutest game ever, but more addicting than crackmonsters. I played intensively for one summer, but then retired from it for school. Out of sheer boredom, I started up again during our so-called Dead Week. It reminded me of all the things I hated about these French developers. (Thank you for your comprehension. lol)

These online RPGs like World of Warcraft are poisonous candy. You develop sweet bonds with "friends" within guilds, but no one really cares about you outside of the game. It's the pseudo-social network that drives thousands (millions?) of teens to lameness. The difference between these games and traditional console video games is the "level grinding" that becomes so monotonous, yet intangibly rewarding. And even if you want to take a break to quit thinking about the game, you have virtual pets to feed everyday... otherwise they die!!

The worst part: you waste so much time and start to wonder where the fun went. Reality and fantasy become blurred partners.

No comments: